Shake It Up: 5 Ways to Upgrade Breakfast
Tired of eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast all the time? Ditch the milk carton and flakes. Make full use of your kitchen and that set of pans that your mom got you when you first moved into your apartment.
Through my years in college, I’ve learned how to upgrade my breakfast meals. I’ve promoted my cooking skills from amateur with toast and butter to breakfast chef with banana and blueberry pancakes.
From Eggs to Omelets
While there are so many ways of making eggs, only eating eggs is not very appetizing.
Here are some things you can mix into your eggs:
•Chopped meat: chicken, ham, bacon
•Chopped veggies: tomatoes, green bell pepper, onions, mushrooms
•Seasonings: salt and black pepper
Click here for a two-minute video on how to prepare omelets — IN A BAG. Can it get any easier to make breakfast?!
From Plain Toast to Avocado, Bacon, & Egg Toast
I am guilty of just spreading butter on my toast in the morning as a lazy “hack.” Paired with a cup of coffee, I can’t think of a more unhealthy breakfast. Unless you’re counting not eating at all.
Toast can be upgraded with very few ingredients. Here are some basic steps:
Step 1: Cook an egg, poached or sunny-side up, and some bacon.
Step 2: Slice, or mash up, half of an avocado.
Step 3: Toast your sliced bread.
Step 4: Place toast on a plate and top it off with egg, bacon, and avocado.
For Step 4, you can order the toppings in any way you’d like. However, I’ve learned that laying the avocado first keeps the egg and bacon firmly in place. Think of it as the glue in your wonderful toast. Sprinkle some salt and pepper and enjoy.
From Oatmeal to Fruit, Nuts & Oats Mix
You are lying to yourself if you say you genuinely like eating oatmeal. No matter how healthy oatmeal is for your heart, its bland taste is just not how you want to start your day.
Luckily, you can always mix any kind of nuts and fruit into your bowl to add some flavor. For those that want to increase their intake of vitamins and minerals, here are some superfoods you can add to your oatmeal for a healthy kick.
From Apple to Assorted Fruit Bowl
Who else is guilty of running out the door with just a fruit from the fruit bowl in hand? Whether you’re rushing to class or late for work, you should know that one fruit will not give you enough energy for a few hours.
Instead, try tossing in various fruits and mixing them in a bowl. Bag the mixed fruit and refrigerate in sizable portions overnight. In the morning, you’ll have a variety of sweet snacks ready to go, and you won’t have to do any preparing at all!
From Banana Shake to Energy Boost Smoothie
During my first attempts at meal-planning, I figured that a fruit shake would make for a quick and easy breakfast trick. Did you know you can save your money on Juiceland or Jamba Juice by making your own healthy smoothies at home?
Researchers and athletes both agree that a shake should be more than just a blend of banana, ice, milk, and sugar. Here are a few tips to strengthening your liquid breakfast meal:
1. Add a green base. You want to eat something that will give you the energy to get through your day. Kale and spinach are great bases to get your dose of fiber.
2. Substitute sugar with honey. The less you eat processed sugar, the healthier and better your body will feel. Honey is naturally made.
3. Freeze your fruit. You can buy bagged frozen fruit or chop up your fruit and freeze them in Ziplock bags.
4. Add half of an avocado. I am not just saying this because it’s my favorite thing to eat. According to Victoria, of Bon Appétit Magazine, “You’ll get lots of potassium, B-complex vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.” Avocados are also great for satisfying hunger and lowering bad cholesterol.
Consider preparing your smoothie ingredients the night before so you can easily blend them in the morning. (Tip: use your assorted fruit that you’ve already sized and prepped!) You can also make various kinds of smoothies by using different ingredients. Maybe a green smoothie on a Monday and a mango smoothie on Tuesday? Either way, variety is key to not tiring of liquid meals!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Food Articles
Recent MSU News Articles
MSU Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of MissouriWashington University in St LouisUniversity of Missouri-St LouisMissouri State UniversityWebster UniversityUniversity of Central MissouriColumbia CollegeUniversity of Missouri - Kansas CityPark UniversitySaint Louis UniversityA.T. Still UniversityTruman State UniversityOzark Christian CollegeCulver-Stockton CollegeAvila UniversityCentral Methodist UniversityCollege of the OzarksDrury UniversityEvangel UniversityFontbonne UniversityGrantham UniversityHannibal-Lagrange CollegeHarris-Stowe State UniversityLincoln University of MissouriLindenwood UniversityLogan UniversityMaryville University of Saint LouisMissouri Baptist UniversityMissouri Southern State UniversityMissouri Valley CollegeMissouri Western State UniversityNorthwest Missouri State UniversityRanken Technical CollegeRockhurst UniversitySoutheast Missouri State UniversitySouthwest Baptist UniversitySt Louis College of PharmacyMissouri University of Science and TechnologyWilliam Jewell CollegeWilliam Woods UniversityUniversity of Central MissouriEden Theological SeminarySt. Louis Community CollegeSt. Charles Community CollegeAquinas Institute of TheologyMetropolitan Community CollegeMissouri TechThe School of Professional Psychology at Forest InstituteStephens CollegeCottey College Crowder College Jefferson College Metropolitan Community College-Maple WoodsMetropolitan Community College-Penn ValleyMissouri State University-West PlainsMoberly Area Community College North Central Missouri College Ozarks Technical Community CollegeState Fair Community College State Technical College of MissouriAmerican Trade SchoolAssemblies of God Theological SeminaryAviation Institute of Maintenance-Kansas CityBaptist Bible CollegeBarnes-Jewish College Goldfarb School of NursingBrown Mackie College-St LouisCalvary Bible College and Theological SeminaryCape Girardeau Career and Technology CenterCarthage R9 School District-Carthage Technical CenterCass Career CenterCentral Christian College of the BibleCentral College of CosmetologyChillicothe Beauty Academy IncCity Pointe Beauty AcademyCity Vision CollegeClinton Technical SchoolColumbia Area Career CenterConception Seminary CollegeConcorde Career College-Kansas CityConcordia SeminaryCosmetology College of Franklin CountyDeVry University-MissourieClips School of Cosmetology and BarberingElaine Steven Beauty CollegeEverest College-Earth CityEverest College-Kansas CityFour Rivers Career CenterGraceland University - IndependenceHickey CollegeHillyard Technical CenterHouse of Heavilin Beauty College-Blue SpringsHouse of Heavilin Beauty College-Kansas CityHouse of Heavilin Beauty College-RaymoreIndependence College of CosmetologyITT Technical Institute-ArnoldITT Technical Institute-Kansas CityKansas City Art InstituteKansas City University of Medicine and BiosciencesKenrick Glennon SeminaryLake Career and Technical CenterLester E Cox Medical Center-School of Medical TechnologyLex La-Ray Technical CenterLutheran School of NursingMerrell University of Beauty Arts and ScienceMetro Business College-RollaMidwestern Baptist Theological SeminaryMissouri College of Cosmetology NorthNational Academy of Beauty Arts-FarmingtonNational Academy of Beauty Arts-St LouisNational American University-IndependenceNational American University-Zona RosaNazarene Theological SeminaryNeosho Beauty CollegeNew Dimensions School of Hair DesignNorthland Career CenterPaul Mitchell the School-Missouri ColumbiaPike-Lincoln Technical CenterPinnacle Career Institute-South Kansas CityPoplar Bluff Technical Career CenterProfessional Massage Training CenterRegency Beauty Institute-IndependenceResearch College of NursingSaint Louis Christian CollegeSaline County Career CenterSanford-Brown College-FentonSeymour Beauty AcademySikeston Career and Technology CenterSkin InstituteSoutheast Missouri Hospital College of Nursing and Health SciencesSt Louis Hair AcademyStevens-The Institute of Business & ArtsTexas County Technical CollegeTransformed Barber and Cosmetology AcademyTrend Setters School of CosmetologyTruman Medical Center School of Nurse AnesthesiaUniversity of Phoenix-MissouriUrshan Graduate School of TheologyVatterott College-St JosephWaynesville Career CenterWellSpring School of Allied Health-Kansas CityWentworth Military Academy and College
- By State
- By City